Tag Archives: chris lutz
The elimination round of the 2011 PBA Philippine Cup (All-Filipino Conference) is over. Here’s the current PBA Standings:
1st – B-Meg Llamados (10-4)
2nd – Talk N Text Tropang Texters (10-4)
3rd – Petron Blaze Boosters (9-5)
4th – Barangay Ginebra Kinga (9-5)
5th – Rain or Shine Elasto Painters (9-5)
6th – Meralco Bolts (8-6)
7th – Barako Bull Energy (6-8)
8th – Powerade Tigers (6-8)
9th – Alaska Aces (3-11)
10th – Shopinas.com Clickers (0-14)
From the previous Smart Gilas players, who do you think made the biggest impact on their current team?
Updated post with Dylan Ababou and JV Casio PBA debut.
The Smart Gilas players already had their debut in the PBA Philippine Cup (Except for JV Casio-injured and Dylan Ababou-did not play due to coach decision).
PBA Debut Statistics
-Dylan Ababou (Barako) – 20pts, 3 rebs, 1 asts and 2 stls in 29 minutes of play
-Mac Baracael (Alaska) – 20 pts, 2 rebs and 3 asts in 29 minutes of play
-Chris Lutz (Petron) – 19 pts, 4 rebs, 3 asts and 1 blk in 37 minutes of play
-Marcio Lassiter (Powerade) – 10 pts, 7 rebs, 3 asts and 3 stls in 30 minutes of play
-JV Casio (Powerade) – 3 pts and 2 asts in 11 minutes of play
-Mark Barroca (B-Meg) – 2 pts, 1 reb, 1 ast and 1 stl in 13 minutes of play
-Jason Ballesteros – 1pt and 4 rebs in 14 minutes of play
2nd game in the PBA
-Japeth Aguilar (TNT) – 27 pts, 8 rebs, 2 stls and 1 blk in 32 minutes of play
The PBA 37th Season (PBA Philippine Cup) will start on Sunday, October 2, 2011 at the Smart Araneta Coliseum. Our favorite Smart Gilas players will now play in the PBA (except Chris Tiu and Marcus Douthit).
Powerade is an early favorite with JV Casio and Marcio Lassiter playing together again alongside Gary David. Chris Lutz will be playing with former Smart Gilas Dondon Hontiveros at Petron while Mark Barroca will play with James Yap and is expected to be the main point guard of Coach Tim Cone in B-Meg.
Dylan Ababou and Jason Ballesteros who hardly played for Smart Gilas will have their chance to show their skills with Barako and Meralco respectively. Mac Baracael is a good fit for Alaska and Japeth Aguilar will be teaming up with Smart Gilas reinforcements Kelly Williams, Ranidel de Ocampo and MVP Jimmy Alapag.
Smart Gilas players in the PBA
-JV Casio and Marcio Lassiter will play for Powerade Tigers
-Chris Lutz will play for Petron Blaze Boosters
-Mark Barroca will play for B-Meg Llamados
-Mac Baracael will play for the Alaska Aces
-Jason Ballesteros will play for the Meralco Bolts
-Dylan Ababou will play for Barako Bull Energy
-Japeth Aguilar will go back to Talk N Text Tropang Texters
After finishing 4th place in the FIBA Asia Championship, the Smart Gilas program must continue even if the core players will go on to play in the PBA. The previous Smart Gilas players can still be used as reinforcements in future tournaments but a new core of players must be trained again.
Next Goal: 2013 FIBA Asia Championship (Top three teams will qualify for the 2014 FIBA World Championship)
Who will leave Smart Gilas?
1. JV Casio (Powerade)
2. Chris Lutz (Petron)
3. Marcio Lassiter (Powerade)
4. Mark Barroca (B-Meg)
5. Mac Baracael (Alaska)
6. Jason Ballesteros (Meralco)
7. Dylan Ababou (Barako)
8. Japeth Aguilar (Talk N Text)
Who will be left?
1. Marcus Douthit – He is now 31 years old and 33 in 2013, he can still play maybe until 35 years old
2. Chris Tiu – He is now 26 years old and 28 in 2013, he still has many years of play and will be able to teach the new core of players
3. Greg Slaughter (Now playing for Ateneo)
4. Aldrech Ramos (Now playing for FEU)
Who might be added to the team?
1. Kiefer Ravena (Now playing for Ateneo)
2. Bobby Ray Parks Jr. (Now playing for NU)
Who might coach the next Smart Gilas team?
1. Rajko Toroman – He must be extended for 2 more years
2. Chot Reyes
3. Norman Black
4. Tim Cone
5. Eric Altamirano
2011 FIBA Asia Championship Second Round
Smart Gilas Pilipinas vs Jordan
Philippines defeats Jordan, 72-64
- Jordan led by as much as 16 points, 27-11 in the 1st quarter
- Marcus Douthit led Smart Gilas with 19 points and 15 rebounds, Douthit injured in his ankle in the 3rd quarter but came back after a few minutes
- Marcio Lassiter played big in his 1st game in the FIBA Asia Championship scoring 14 points with 4 rebounds and 2 assists
- Jimmy Alapag scored in double figures with 11 points
- Chris Tiu scored 9 points, 7 in the 1st half
- Jordan had the edge in rebounding, 53-43
- Jordan placed the game under protest due to both teams being informed before the game that Lutz and Lassiter cannot play and then in the 1st quarter were already allowed to play already.
Philippines 72 – Douthit 19, Lassiter 14, Alapag 11, Tiu 9, Williams 6, de Ocampo 4, Lutz 4, Casio 3, Taulava 2, Barroca 0, Aguilar 0, Baracael 0
Jordan 64 – Daghles 18, Wright 16, Z.Abbas 10, Abuqoura 7, I.Abbas 6, Al-Sous 5, Zaghab 2, Hussein 0
Quarters: 11-20, 26-31, 47-47, 72-64
Here’s the tweet from Noli Eala – “Great news! Fiba has cleared Lassiter and Lutz to play. Letter already being transmitted to Fiba Asia and SBP. God bless Gilas.” – http://twitter.com/NoliEala
Complete Team starting tomorrow against Jordan at 3:30pm. Good luck to Smart Gilas!
Follow us on Twitter – http://twitter.com/smartgilasbb
Chot Reyes – http://twitter.com/coachot
Charles Tiu – http://twitter.com/charlestiu
Chris Tiu – http://twitter.com/chris_tiu
Japeth Aguilar – http://twitter.com/japethaguilar09
Chris Lutz – http://twitter.com/ChrisLutz14
Asi Taulava – http://twitter.com/mrlava_lava5
Jimmy Alapag – http://twitter.com/JAlapag3
Kelly Williams – http://twitter.com/silentkels
Congratulations to the Smart Gilas players who were all drafted in the 1st round in the 2011 PBA Rookie Draft. Congratulations to JV Casio who was the 1st overall draft pick and will be teammates with Marcio Lassiter while Chris Lutz will go to recent champion Petron. Point Guard Mark Barroca was picked by new team Shopinas Clickers while Alaska gets Mac Baracael. Meralco picked Jason Ballesteros while Dylan Ababou was picked last in the 1st round by Barako Bull (Former Air 21).
PBA Draft 1st Round
1. JV Casio (Powerade)
2. Paul Lee (Rain or Shine)
3. Chris Lutz (Petron)
4. Marcio Lassiter (Powerade)
5. Mark Barroca (Shopinas)
6. Mac Baracael (Alaska)
7. Jason Ballesteros (Meralco)
8. Allein Maliksi (Barako)
9. Reil Cervantes (Ginebra)
10. Dylan Ababou (Barako)
Smart Gilas Pilipinas players who joined the PBA Rookie Draft
- JV Casio
- Marcio Lassiter
- Chris Lutz
- Mark Barroca
- Mac Baracael
- Dylan Ababou
- Jason Ballesteros
2011 PBA Rookie Draft will be held on August 28 at Robinsons Place, Manila. The Smart Gilas players will still play in the FIBA Asia Championships in September and will go back to the PBA team that drafted them.
The Powerade Tigers will have the 1st pick overall and may select JV Casio.
Which Smart Gilas player will be picked first in the PBA Draft?
- JV Casio (81%, 196 Votes)
- Marcio Lassiter (7%, 16 Votes)
- Mac Baracael (5%, 11 Votes)
- Mark Barroca (4%, 10 Votes)
- Jason Ballesteros (2%, 5 Votes)
- Chris Lutz (2%, 4 Votes)
- Dylan Ababou (0%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 243