Tag Archives: jason ballesteros
The elimination round of the 2011 PBA Philippine Cup (All-Filipino Conference) is over. Here’s the current PBA Standings:
1st – B-Meg Llamados (10-4)
2nd – Talk N Text Tropang Texters (10-4)
3rd – Petron Blaze Boosters (9-5)
4th – Barangay Ginebra Kinga (9-5)
5th – Rain or Shine Elasto Painters (9-5)
6th – Meralco Bolts (8-6)
7th – Barako Bull Energy (6-8)
8th – Powerade Tigers (6-8)
9th – Alaska Aces (3-11)
10th – Shopinas.com Clickers (0-14)
From the previous Smart Gilas players, who do you think made the biggest impact on their current team?
Updated post with Dylan Ababou and JV Casio PBA debut.
The Smart Gilas players already had their debut in the PBA Philippine Cup (Except for JV Casio-injured and Dylan Ababou-did not play due to coach decision).
PBA Debut Statistics
-Dylan Ababou (Barako) – 20pts, 3 rebs, 1 asts and 2 stls in 29 minutes of play
-Mac Baracael (Alaska) – 20 pts, 2 rebs and 3 asts in 29 minutes of play
-Chris Lutz (Petron) – 19 pts, 4 rebs, 3 asts and 1 blk in 37 minutes of play
-Marcio Lassiter (Powerade) – 10 pts, 7 rebs, 3 asts and 3 stls in 30 minutes of play
-JV Casio (Powerade) – 3 pts and 2 asts in 11 minutes of play
-Mark Barroca (B-Meg) – 2 pts, 1 reb, 1 ast and 1 stl in 13 minutes of play
-Jason Ballesteros – 1pt and 4 rebs in 14 minutes of play
2nd game in the PBA
-Japeth Aguilar (TNT) – 27 pts, 8 rebs, 2 stls and 1 blk in 32 minutes of play
The PBA 37th Season (PBA Philippine Cup) will start on Sunday, October 2, 2011 at the Smart Araneta Coliseum. Our favorite Smart Gilas players will now play in the PBA (except Chris Tiu and Marcus Douthit).
Powerade is an early favorite with JV Casio and Marcio Lassiter playing together again alongside Gary David. Chris Lutz will be playing with former Smart Gilas Dondon Hontiveros at Petron while Mark Barroca will play with James Yap and is expected to be the main point guard of Coach Tim Cone in B-Meg.
Dylan Ababou and Jason Ballesteros who hardly played for Smart Gilas will have their chance to show their skills with Barako and Meralco respectively. Mac Baracael is a good fit for Alaska and Japeth Aguilar will be teaming up with Smart Gilas reinforcements Kelly Williams, Ranidel de Ocampo and MVP Jimmy Alapag.
Smart Gilas players in the PBA
-JV Casio and Marcio Lassiter will play for Powerade Tigers
-Chris Lutz will play for Petron Blaze Boosters
-Mark Barroca will play for B-Meg Llamados
-Mac Baracael will play for the Alaska Aces
-Jason Ballesteros will play for the Meralco Bolts
-Dylan Ababou will play for Barako Bull Energy
-Japeth Aguilar will go back to Talk N Text Tropang Texters
After finishing 4th place in the FIBA Asia Championship, the Smart Gilas program must continue even if the core players will go on to play in the PBA. The previous Smart Gilas players can still be used as reinforcements in future tournaments but a new core of players must be trained again.
Next Goal: 2013 FIBA Asia Championship (Top three teams will qualify for the 2014 FIBA World Championship)
Who will leave Smart Gilas?
1. JV Casio (Powerade)
2. Chris Lutz (Petron)
3. Marcio Lassiter (Powerade)
4. Mark Barroca (B-Meg)
5. Mac Baracael (Alaska)
6. Jason Ballesteros (Meralco)
7. Dylan Ababou (Barako)
8. Japeth Aguilar (Talk N Text)
Who will be left?
1. Marcus Douthit – He is now 31 years old and 33 in 2013, he can still play maybe until 35 years old
2. Chris Tiu – He is now 26 years old and 28 in 2013, he still has many years of play and will be able to teach the new core of players
3. Greg Slaughter (Now playing for Ateneo)
4. Aldrech Ramos (Now playing for FEU)
Who might be added to the team?
1. Kiefer Ravena (Now playing for Ateneo)
2. Bobby Ray Parks Jr. (Now playing for NU)
Who might coach the next Smart Gilas team?
1. Rajko Toroman – He must be extended for 2 more years
2. Chot Reyes
3. Norman Black
4. Tim Cone
5. Eric Altamirano
Congratulations to the Smart Gilas players who were all drafted in the 1st round in the 2011 PBA Rookie Draft. Congratulations to JV Casio who was the 1st overall draft pick and will be teammates with Marcio Lassiter while Chris Lutz will go to recent champion Petron. Point Guard Mark Barroca was picked by new team Shopinas Clickers while Alaska gets Mac Baracael. Meralco picked Jason Ballesteros while Dylan Ababou was picked last in the 1st round by Barako Bull (Former Air 21).
PBA Draft 1st Round
1. JV Casio (Powerade)
2. Paul Lee (Rain or Shine)
3. Chris Lutz (Petron)
4. Marcio Lassiter (Powerade)
5. Mark Barroca (Shopinas)
6. Mac Baracael (Alaska)
7. Jason Ballesteros (Meralco)
8. Allein Maliksi (Barako)
9. Reil Cervantes (Ginebra)
10. Dylan Ababou (Barako)
Smart Gilas Pilipinas players who joined the PBA Rookie Draft
– JV Casio
– Marcio Lassiter
– Chris Lutz
– Mark Barroca
– Mac Baracael
– Dylan Ababou
– Jason Ballesteros
2011 PBA Rookie Draft will be held on August 28 at Robinsons Place, Manila. The Smart Gilas players will still play in the FIBA Asia Championships in September and will go back to the PBA team that drafted them.
The Powerade Tigers will have the 1st pick overall and may select JV Casio.
Which Smart Gilas player will be picked first in the PBA Draft?
- JV Casio (81%, 196 Votes)
- Marcio Lassiter (7%, 16 Votes)
- Mac Baracael (5%, 11 Votes)
- Mark Barroca (4%, 10 Votes)
- Jason Ballesteros (2%, 5 Votes)
- Chris Lutz (2%, 4 Votes)
- Dylan Ababou (1%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 243
9th SEABA Mens Championship 2011
Smart Gilas Pilipinas vs Singapore
June 25, 2011
Philippines defeats Singapore, 106-51
– 6 players in double figures by Smart Gilas
– Mark Barroca and Japeth Aguilar led the team both with 18 points, Barroca also with 5 assists while Aguilar with 15 rebounds and 3 blocks
– Mac Baracael with 17 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals
– Philippines with 23 assists led by Chris Lutz with 7 while Singapore only had 5 assists overall
– Great defense by Smart Gilas which led to 17 steals and 5 blocks
– Jason Ballesteros scored only 4 points but grabbed 16 rebounds
– Philippines shot 57% from the field (42/74) and 33% from the three-point line (5/15)
Philippines 106 – Barroca 18, Aguilar 18, Baracael 17, Ababou 14, Tiu 11, Lutz 11, Douthit 8, Casio 5, Ballesteros 4.
Singapore 51 – Wong 20, Lim 10, Goh 6, Oh 4, Koh 4, Ng 3, Fok 2, Khoo 2, Folkoff 0, Wu0, Koh 0, Matialakan 0.